Saturday 16 May 2009

Selling Used Books-How it all Began!


Happy Anniversary!


This week I received an email form EBay congratulating me on my Fourth year since registering on their site. It’s so hard to believe it's four years that I first dabbled with selling books online. For me it was quite a scary venture, not being very confident using the computer and being a complete technophobe to boot.


I had little knowledge of selling on Amazon or eBay, yes I had purchased a few items from both sites, but it had not occurred to me to actually sell my own stuff on them.. I had little idea where to start or what to sell even if it had crossed my mind.


How to Earn Extra Income?

I was keen to earn myself a little extra income, like most families money was tight ,I wanted to ensure we had a holiday, so. I made myself a goal to earn a modest £50 per week. Not a great deal I know, but I worked out this amount would make a difference to my disposable income.


At the same time, however, I was not to too keen on trying to learn new concepts that would confuse and challenge me too much. Most computer jargon was (and still is).like trying to learn a foreign language. So I needed something simple and something I could get into that would fit into my regime.


Working full time and having a family, spare time was an issue, so to earn extra income I decided that I would make a commitment to dedicate a couple of hours every evening to my new venture..I would do this by cutting down on watching trashy television programmes.


How It Began!

I was keen to find a home business opportunity so I had subscribed to a newsletter called 'What Really Makes Money'. This publication is dedicated to alerting you to the scams in home opportunities and promote good ideas in the home biz opp market. In one issue there was a very small paragraph on how you could make money selling used books on Amazon.co.uk. I was quite impressed and immediately went to my bookcase and found a dozen or so books that had no further use to me.


They were mostly study books that I had used a few years earlier for my degree course ( I graduated at 40) I felt others doing a similar course would want them. I also had a few diet books and self help books so I sat down straight away.and followed the instructions from What Really Makes Money and within a few minutes I had registered as a seller on Amazon.


How I Got It Going!

I listed my pile of books and imagine my delight when I sold my first book a day or so later. Over seven days I sold one book per day. I did not have any new packing materials and used recycled mail light bags I happened to have. I had no idea how to produce a packing slip and just printed off the email that Amazon sent me and put it in with the order. Once I had used up my own stock of unwanted books, it did not take me long to discover places to buy books from locally where I could buy books for pennies and sell for pounds on amazon and ebay to grateful customers all over the world!


From Hobby £50 pw to Part Time Business £300 pw.

I had no way of knowing how my life would change just by selling used books. To think that such a simple to run hobby would develop so quickly. Not only did I achieve my goal of earning an extra income of £50 per week, I did get my holiday, a week in Brittany in a villa with private heated pool.. But more than this my income selling books soon grew from £50 per week to an amazing £300 per week working part time from home.


If you would like to copy me and start your very own unique online book store click here.


Sold Dispatch Now



No comments:

Post a Comment